Skip to main content

My Art Journey Begins Now

So let me fill you in on my art journey prior to this. Apart from those mandatory art classes in high school that I always scored so poorly in, and that one sip and paint class, I really never thought I had an artistic bone in my body.  In fact my high school art teacher was very mean and a little bit of a nightmare back then, so I picked up squat from those days. Truth be told, I honestly thought I had zero talent so I never pursued it.

Today, enter the world of online tutorials and my discovery of a painting of two cats; one in daylight and one in the dark of night. Thoughts of "I can do this," filled my head; a simple thought that would eventually be the beginning of my art journey. Thanks to the discovery of the Art Sherpa, I have come to realise that art can be a learnt skill. I do not proclaim to be Michelangelo or Van Gogh. Heck, I still can't get shadows and light right yet. I am a beginner if ever there was a beginner. But it is never too late to acquire new skills.

My medium is acrylic. And like people who know nothing about the art world, I had no idea why I even chose acrylic other than the fact that the sip and paint I went to utilised acrylics. I would later learn that oils have a longer drying time than acrylics. In fact if I am not mistaken, a layer of oil paint takes an entire day to dry. I have zero patience so I am happy that I didn't choose oils to start off with, especially given that I did no research before hand. Acrylics take minutes to dry. You live and you learn.

I learnt a couple more things since then too, but I am in need of sleep and there will be more posts to come. I leave you with my very first painting. It needs so much improvement but it is cute so I think I will keep it. I have yet to do the painting of both cats if anyone was wondering.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poppycock!

I have been trying to up the difficulty level of my paintings so that I learn even more. This one involved a technique using a palette knife, which is used to make your painting more textured and give a more real life feel to it. I did not have a palette knife but Cinnamon suggested that an old credit card or business card could serve the same purpose. I used a business card and it worked fine. I used it on my rocks and it really helped my rocks look more authentic. There is also a tool called a splatter brush that I used on my painting. It looks very much like a toothbrush, but since I didn't have one of those either, so I used a toothbrush. I am becoming the queen of improvising.  I admit, I got a bit frustrated with my poppies. Cinnamon using Golden paints in her tutorial. All I had was a cheaper brand and when I painted mine were see through. I had to use a few layers just to get the colour payoff I wanted and they still din't look as vibrant as hers did. The only Gold

The disaster. My third attempt at art

So my third attempt, how do I begin? My third attempt started off as a hopeful, you've got this, sort of vibe. And, as I painted the background, there was no doubt in my mind that I had this. When I was done with my background, I wanted to make beautiful circles with my pouncer...only I had no pouncer. Yes, pouncers are tools of art! Who knew?! They are sponge-like devices shaped like circles. They come in different sizes so you can make different sized circles. So I had no pouncers, no problem. Sometimes a girl just has to improvise. I had a beauty blender. That would do the trick right?! And it did. My circles turned out beautifully. Then I pencilled in both my girls in their ballgowns and they looked so promising. I painted the girl in the yellow dress first, which wasn't too bad. After this is where it went downhill.  The green dress fiasco ensued. I started painting and when I was finished I hated it, so I painted over it and started again. This resulted in a muddied